Thursday, August 15, 2013

Podcasts

When  was a kid we used to listen to radio shows.

Haha, no, I'm not THAT old. But my parents didn't like TV and there used to be some wonderful shows on CBC Radio so we'd listen during dinner.

I took up running a couple of years ago (I know, it's a shock!) and I've always listened to music but a friend recently mentioned that she listens to podcasts while running so I thought I'd try it out.

I installed the podcast app on my iphone and added Fresh Air (an NPR show that was highly recommended by some Yankee friends) and proceeded to run into trouble running because I was screaming at the inane, racist, and stupid woman who does the interviews. She's really shocking, actually. She answers her own questions while asking them. I think she likes to hear her own voice more than the people she's interviewing. She interviewed a comedienne and basically called her a slut. She interviewed an African ( I can't remember which country) author and xenophobia reeked in every question.

So I almost gave up on podcasts. But then I added some from CBC (they're actually funny) and I added NPR's TED hour, which is amazing.

So TIL (Reddit for Today I Learned) that captcha boxes are actually a global collaborative effort to translate scanned text into computer-readable text. How freaking cool is that? Listen to the podcast, it's awesome.

No comments: