Sunday, July 17, 2011

She'll be a runner yet

With time on my hands this summer, I decided to join a gym. It's ok, but a bit boring as I miss my old gym in HK SO MUCH! Realizing it wasn't going to sustain me, I decided to download a C25K app to my iPhone.

Couch to 5k is something that people have been talking about a lot over this past year. Basically it's a simple interval training program to help non-runners become runners. I had worried I wouldn't be able to do it as I've been pretty devoutly against running since forever. But with the app, it's SO easy! No thinking or negotiating, "Michael" tells me when to run and when to walk. My own music plays and the gps on my phone tracks distance and pace. I don't even hate "Michael" as much as I thought I might, his voice is gently commanding and really, when he says run you just do, is all.

I've just finished the first week of ten. That has me actually running only about 8 minutes of the thirty minute workout, but that's 8 minutes more than I've run in any interval.

What's interesting is that I love it. Well, the first ten minutes or so is rough, but the endorphins kick in after that and I genuinely enjoy the rest. I got me thinking that endorphins are the body's way of saying thank you and encouraging me to keep going. I'm also beginning to suspect that running feeds a primal need so basic I can't even put words to it. With each workout I enjoy it more and what's really interesting is that the feeling lasts all day - long after the endorphins have left my bloodstream. What other than satisfying a primal need could that be?

If you have been thinking about picking up running or if you have been scared off running from a lifetime of failed jogs staggering for air, I highly recommend giving it a try - you won't look back.

2 comments:

Tiny said...

I want to pick up running but I have been procrastinating. I should drag my ass out when the weather is milder. It's too hot to jog outdoor this summer.

I have been taking zumba classes though and I plan to take some dance lessons. Just want to do something that's fun.

dgny said...

...several months later...I finished the running program successfully in early September and have been running at least 1 5k run a week ever since! DO IT! IT'S AWESOME!