Sunday, July 17, 2011

Revisiting the past

I have been a devout ereader for about a year now. It all started with moving to a country where you can't get books in English, but the ability to carry an entire library in my bag quickly made me a devotee. The only thing is that my favorite authors don't seem to write as much as I read! So I've ended up turning to old books through gutenburg and this summer and reread the Anne of Green Gables series.

All Canadian girls read Anne- it's a rite of passage. As I went through and read the books, I was amazed at how well I remembered them (these days I can read a book and then a few months later pick up the same book and not realize I've already read it until I'm halfway through!). I was also amazed to find how much of my own identity is tied up with Anne's. In You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's character says, "When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does." and she couldn't have been more right!

It has been a lovely gift to run into preadolescent me and to get to know her again. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

watergirl said...

I started re-reading those on my kindle too! It's quite the experience realizing what an impact those books had on me. And then there is the whole fact that I think Gilbert Blythe has ruined me for any real man.

dgny said...

You and me both, sister! It would behoove Canadian men to read the series, they'd certainly gain a new understanding of what Canadian women want in a man!